Saturday 23 May 2015

Total Recall...

Remember that rear wheel arch I mentioned earlier? No? Go back and check, I'll wait... done? Right, I'll continue...

Taking the rear wing off did the same as the front, the captive nut came loose and ripped the arch open... also taking off yet another 'repair' plate!
Now you can see why the wiring is in the way :P
I needed to weld repair panels on the wheel arch but I can't do it with the wiring there, it'll just melt!
I have an ingenious solution, I will move the wiring from it's current position and take it through the back of the car and thence through the interior!
To perform this amazing task I cut the rest of the wheel arch, where the wing bolts on, off!
While I was at it I also cleared out the foam that VW decided was a good idea :P
A good idea if you want something to set fire to whilst welding a wheel arch... except it wouldn't have set on fire as it was rather on the soggy side :/

Looking in through my new gap I found this crack in the time vortex... my mistake, it's just leading to the interior of the car :P
Moving lower down the wheel arch there's a multitude of panels on top of each other...
It doesn't show too well in that photo but trust me, there's quite a few!

The inside isn't too good either, this 'repair' panel may need replacing...

And I've removed most of the bottom of the rear quarter as it had no bottom edge, so it wasn't really connected to the heater channel, and contained another Bodge special panel that was probably superglued on...

No comments:

Post a Comment